Saturday, January 4, 2014
Pomegranate Health Benefits
Pomegranate Health Benefits - What's All the Fuss About?
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Constantinos_K_Costa]Constantinos K Costa
Countless studies have shown the benefits of fruit for a person's health. From all the fruits available in the market today, one fruit tops the popularity list. Know as the "ruby-red super food" and the "miracle fruit", the pomegranate has earned its popularity because it is thought to possibly help support the body's natural defenses against Alzheimer's disease, various cancers, heart diseases, and arthritis.
The pomegranate's health legacy has not happened by chance. It has been scientifically proven many times over, including by the University of California, that pomegranate ranks the highest of the top 10 antioxidant packed drinks. In their study, pomegranate shows double the amount of antioxidant properties of even red wine and green tea. Antioxidants work to fight off free radicals that can lead to unstable molecules, causing damage to the DNA and cell membranes and in time lead to cancer.
More Health Benefits
• In some countries pomegranate is believed to help in achieving and maintaining a clear skin with a youthful glow, by keeping the blood platelets together.
• It may help reduce the risk of having heart attacks and strokes. Because of the very high levels of antioxidants, pomegranate keeps bad cholesterol from forming, which in turn helps keep the arteries clear of clots.
The National Academy of Science found that pomegranate juice can prevent heart attacks and strokes by decreasing the genetic tendency towards the hardening of the arteries. Studies also showed that those who drank the juice every day for at least three months had an increase in blood flow to the heart which prevents various heart disorders.
• The increase in blood flow to the heart due to the iron contained in pomegranate may also help prevent anemia symptoms that include exhaustion, weakness, dizziness and hear loss.
• Studies have shown that pregnant women receive a great benefit from frequently taking pomegranate juice. The reason this group of women gain from drinking pomegranate juice is because of the fact that the juice contains high levels of folic acid which is exceptionally significant for the proper development of the baby while it is still in the womb of the mother. So if you are a pregnant woman reading this article then you should consider taking pomegranate juice for a healthy pregnancy.
How To Clean A Pomegranate
1. Cut off the crown (you'll see it) and throw it away..
2. Score and slice the rind (skin) all around, but don't cut the rind all the way through.
3. Soak the pomegranate face down in cold water for about five minutes.
4. While the pomegranate is still in the bowl of water, break apart the scored rinds, and remove the seeds from the flesh (the seeds will sink to the bottom of your bowl).
5. Remove the rind and membrane from the bowl with a sieve or spoon.
6. Drain the seeds with a sieve and pat dry with a paper towel.
The seeds in pomegranates may cause irritation for people with diverticulitis. Like tomato, strawberry and raspberry seeds, pips in pomegranate seeds can get into the diverticulitis of the bowel and cause pain.
Like any foods you wish to include in your daily diet, it is advised you consult your family physician
If today is the day that you want to change your lifestyle, then do it today, because the more you put it off until "Next Week", the less likely you are to ever start. Just take a quick look at this site today to get some free tips at http://www.whatyoucanachieve.com
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Pomegranate-Health-Benefits---Whats-All-the-Fuss-About?&id=7494830] Pomegranate Health Benefits - What's All the Fuss About?