By Emmy E Bill
When most people get that sleepy feeling around 2 o'clock in the afternoon they generally depend on energy drinks, coffee, and the vending machine to keep them going. However, there are actually healthy foods that give you energy which will not only increase your energy level, but provide you with vital nutrients. They might give you a quick boost, but consuming foods with empty calories (candy bars, soda, chips, etc.) will cause you to feel sluggish and tired throughout the day.
Below is a list of some foods that if eaten regularly will help you to feel more alert and energized on those days that seem to last a week:
1) Raw Nuts. Nuts are full of the mineral magnesium which helps convert sugar into energy. They also contain healthy fats and fiber that will keep you full for longer periods of time. Just a handful of nuts, including cashews, almonds, and hazelnuts, a day will provide benefits.
2) Seeds. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are full of B vitamins, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium and iron, all of which help fight fatigue. They also help to fight hunger, keeping you satisfied until your next meal.
3) Citrus Fruits including oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines are rich in vitamin C. It acts as an antioxidant, immune system enhancer, and helps the body absorb iron. Eating citrus fruits regularly will put you well on your day to consuming enough vitamin C, which will keep your energy level in check.
4) Broccoli is also packed with vitamin C, as well as folic acid and carotenoids. All of these substances contribute to higher energy levels, so make broccoli a regular part of your diet.
5) Spinach is full of uncountable nutrients, all of which help the body to function normally. Don't like spinach? Other leafy greens, like kale, provide benefits too!
6) Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt, is full of protein, B vitamins, and other nutrients. This makes it a great go-to food when you're in need of a morning (or afternoon!) jump start. Yogurt provides the body with energy in an efficient manner.
7) Eggs contain energy-enhancing minerals including zinc, phosphorus and chromium. Their high protein content contributes to fullness, so eating eggs for breakfast may make those mid-morning hunger pangs disappear.
There you have it, 7 foods that give you energy! Cut out the junk food, substitute it for healthy snacks and you will be well on your way to having more energy. You can also check out 5 rel=nofollow [http://www.probioticsmart.com/blog/5-super-foods-you-should-be-eating-every-day/]super foods you should be eating everyday!
PSCLife.com wants to help you live life to the fullest! Stop by our [http://www.probioticsmart.com/blog/life/]health blog for tips, stories and information on all things YOUR health. Shop our site for low cost, innovative health supplements that will enhance your mind and body.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?7-Foods-That-Give-You-Energy&id=7070973] 7 Foods That Give You Energy